When you live on an archipelago that is made up of 7, 107 islands, it’s pretty easy to find a little piece of paradise. Take, for example, this gorgeous resort, which is just a 2-3 hour drive out of Metro Manila, sans traffic. I didn’t even know it existed until my friends organized a San Mig retreat (referring to our favorite local beer) over the long weekend. There’s nothing like having your expat friends introduce you to a local resort to make you feel like a foreigner in your own country. I resisted the invitation at first, because I really wanted a quiet weekend. In other words, I wanted to sit in front of the couch and watch TV all day. The boyfriend wouldn’t have any of my ridiculousness and basically dragged me into a bus full of excited retreat-goers. Although I pouted most of the way to the beach, my mood slowly changed, and let’s just say that I’m still thinking of a grand way to say, “Thanks for dragging my anti-social butt to the beach, babe.“
So with that in mind, here are some snapshots from that trip and tips on how to have an amazing weekend.
1. Get out! I know how tempting it is to just veg and melt into the couch, but let go of that remote and soak up some vitamin D! Thanks to technology, that new TV series can wait. Here’s my boyfriend, Mike, scoping our cottage’s awesome playground.
2. Stop working, even just for a day. If you can’t get out of the city, just stay away from your laptop or anything else that might remind you of your work to-do list. An overworked mind and body is pretty useless, so give yourself that much needed break.
3. Hang out with a friend. It’s always more fun when you’re with a friend.
4. Try something new. No, that’s not me kiteboarding, but I wish it was. We watched this kiteboarder soar through the clear, blue skies, and cheered him on as we sat on the sand bar.
5. Go on a date. It doesn’t have to be at the beach, but that would make a pretty awesome first date, wouldn’t it? Below are my newly engaged friends who are the perfect peg for fun-loving couples.
6. Have a drink. It might help loosen up those knots that have formed on your shoulders, especially if you proceed with a massage. That’s white wine in that coffee cup, by the way, because that’s how we roll when drinking at the beach.
7. Pick up a hobby, 0r practice an old one. Black and white photography is mine. What’s yours?
8. Pick up your dancing shoes. Even the manliest men like letting it loose on the dance floor every now and then.
9. Be silly. I never take myself too seriously. I find that doing so gives me a headache. I do enough of that when I’m at work. Check us out doing our best version of the robot. Drop me a line if you like our robot dancing skills.
10. Be spontaneous. Our workdays are already filled with plans. Sometimes, it’s more fun to just let it go. Delicious ambiguity it is.
——————————STILTS, CALATAGAN is located in Brgy. Sta. Ana, Calatagan, Batangas (02) 4038419 stiltscalataganbeachresort.net